Student Profile :: Socially Responsible Architecture

Darian Mason, a Master of Architecture student in Segment II, is just like many other BAC students - he's taking classes and looking for employment. But of course he comes at it from a unique perspective.

Darian grew up in a small town in Virginia and earned his Bachelors degree in Biblical Studies. "I was involved in art and design from a young age," says Darian. "I loved legos, drawing, and arts and crafts." Since the ninth grade, Darian planned on studying both architecture and theology, and, amazingly, that is how it has worked out.

(Inkwash rendering of the boathouse for B1 Studio)

Darian came to the BAC because of its location in a metropolis and one that has such a strong community of architecture. "I enjoy that the school requires me to be self motivated and that the hard work I put in for five years can pay off with me sitting for exams after graduation. I also feel that the school gives me the freedom to make my own opportunities with what I learn and how I learn as I try to build a career and some sort of design sensitivity."

Darian spent his first year at the BAC in the Academic Only Program. He enjoys studio and CAD classes. "I like the creativity and critical design thinking that is involved with these classes," he explains. He currently taking a Summer C-Level Studio called 'Space of Vision,' in which the students are designing a connector between two of the BAC campus buildings, 320 Newbury Street and 951 Boylston Street.

(Material study for BAC Campus Connector, Studio C1)

When he graduates, Darian would like to put his architecture degree to good use. "My goal is to build socially aware buildings that fit a specific need within the community," he says. "This might mean an internet cafe for single moms or a community center for a mentorship program." Architecture for Humanity would be a good fit, though he'd also love to work for Diller Scofidio + Renfro. Check back in a few years to see where Darian is and what he's working on.

(Program diagram for BAC Campus Connector, Studio C1)

To read more Student Profiles, Click Here.

Comments