Architecture for Humanity Boston 5K 2010 :: Recap

L-R: Sam Hitchon, Madeleine Dy, Lindsay Smith, Erin Rae Larsen, Mike McHugh, Emmy Yamaguchi and John Contant.

By Anesu Dhliwayo, BArch Candidate

On Saturday, May 1st, 2010, a warm sunny spring morning, Architecture for Humanity Boston hosted the annual 5K race at Artesani Park. The BAC entered the race as defending champions in the school teams category. Five BAC students, Emmy Yamaguchi, John Contant, Erin Rae Larsen, Sam Hitchon, and Madeleine Dy put studio on the back-burner for a day to represent our school at the event. Unfortunately, Tufts (who laced their laces tighter) out-ran our defending champions and left the park with what once was our champion trophy.

After a few bottles of water and enough rest, John Contact (first BAC male to finish the race) and Erin Rae Larsen (first BAC female to finish the race) answered a few questions for the blog.

AD: What was the most memorable moment of the race?
Erin: Always … finishing! And the camaraderie between the BAC students & professors that were there. Once we had established a group of people wearing BAC t-shirts, others kept on coming up to us, saying that they also went to the BAC. Since it’s a commuter school, it’s fantastic to participate in events like this so we can meet and enjoy t he company of fellow students.

John: The most memorable moment of the race was actually after it finished and people from the BAC were finding that there were many other BAC students in the crowd. It was a lot of “Hey, you go to the BAC? So do I…” By the end we had a decent size group.

AD: Did you prepare for the race? If so how?
Erin: Ate a bowl of raisin bran and walked the dog.

John: Signing up for this race was pretty last minute for me. However, I try to get myself to run a few times a week if I can, so I felt like I was in good enough shape for this race.

AD: How do you fit running into the BAC demanding schedule?
Erin: If I didn’t run, I wouldn’t be able to do anything else in life. What I wonder, is how I fit the BAC into my life schedule

John: It’s not always easy, but again I try to get out a few times a week. Even though a lot of the time I know there is some kind of schoolwork I could be doing, I think it’s important to spend some time doing an activity that clears my mind and recharges my body. Sometimes I get a little stir crazy if I’m cooped up too long and I need to get out and do something.

AD: Why do you think that the BAC didn’t win this year?
Erin: Because Tufts brought their A-game; they had 3 guys that ran faster than any of us could ever run.

John: We could have used more people, but the winning group (Tufts) looked like they had some serious runners.

AD: Would you do the race again next year and why?
Erin: Absolutely! It’s a fun event where you get to casually meet fellow students and/or prospective employers. These big-name firms in Boston seem more accessible & less intimidating when you run next to one of their principals for 3 miles.

John: Yes, I always like to get out for a race when I can. This was a nice, not too difficult course and the weather was great. Plus, it’s always nice to know that your money and participation is helping in a good cause.

AD: Anything you want to add?
Erin: The BAC running club will be taking a break over the summer, but starting out right away in the fall on the first Sunday after school starts, at 11am.

Comments