Welcome :: Interior Design Students

Dear Interior Design Students:

On behalf of all our faculty and staff, I am pleased to welcome you back for the start of the 2011 - 2012 academic year. This week I am getting to see many of you in the classroom, and some students have dropped by my office to introduce themselves. Whether you have a special topic to talk about, or you simply want to say hello, I am looking forward to meeting you in the coming weeks.

This is an exciting time for me to join the BAC as Head of Interior Design. The industry, and the way we prepare professionals for practice, are both evolving rapidly. Design is a creative process. Well into the 21st Century, it is, increasingly, an advocacy profession that seeks to apply knowledge systematically on behalf of people in that process. It is essential that we develop a shared vision for interior design that is creative, and based in the understanding of users and their needs. We design spaces, but we need to expand this definition: we design experience.

By way of introduction, I'm an educator-practitioner, with design and management experience at Gensler, Perkins+Will, VOA and OWP/P (now Cannon). I've had a chance to work in major markets in the Midwest and on the West Coast, and I’ve  brought values of sustainability and research-based design from practice to my role in education. I've chaired a large interior design program, and started a new professional development program that connected interiors students with internships, alumni, continuing education and global education opportunities. I am an NCIDQ-certified Interior Designer, a licensed architect, and a LEED Accredited Professional, with professional organization board service in both the IIDA and AIA. My efforts to align education with practice have drawn me to the BAC's unique program of concurrent practice, and I believe I'm in the perfect place to further these goals. I welcome you into the ongoing discussion as we seek to deliver the best possible design education.

Have a great beginning, and all the best for the coming academic year.

Best regards,

Crandon Gustafson, AIA IIDA ASID LEED AP
Head, School of Interior Design
Boston Architectural College

Comments