Welcome :: Landscape Architecture Students

Dear Landscape Architecture Students:

I would like to welcome each of you to the School of Landscape Architecture at the BAC as we embark into an exciting new academic year 2011-2012.

As the new Head of the School of Landscape Architecture, I want to convey my genuine enthusiasm to collaborate with each one of you as we move forward and implement the academic agenda forward.  I will be working closely with you to ensure that your design studies here at the BAC develop into a productive and worthy experience throughout. I have a creative, urban and ecological vision for the School, which together we can channel to address the contemporary issues surrounding landscape architecture and cities today. As background, I have been in practice for twenty years, working with various private and public entities on projects locally, nationally and internationally, with design ideas and issues that push the limits of open space, and which consider the integrity of these for emerging and existing communities across the globe. I have taught at the BAC, at Harvard's Graduate School of Design, as well as collaborated with the Escuela de Arquitectura, Universidad Católica de Chile. My teaching and design philosophy holds a strong dialogue between academic thinking and professional practice and tries to push conceptual ideas and tangible projects into a meaningful design platform.

I look forward to meeting each of you, and to seeing those of you who have been here in the past. As you prepare for your new academic semester, please feel free to stop by my office in room 306 anytime. I will also be posting regular office hours.

Once classes begin I would like to have a School of LA forum in order to meet one another, introduce Kevin Benham and Shaun O’Rourke, Education Directors within the School of Landscape Architecture, and their work with respect to the newly formed Boston Urban Landscape Lab. I also look forward to hearing about your rejuvenating summer experiences and future goals.

I wish you all a good beginning and all the best for this new academic year.

With warm regards,

María Bellalta
Head, School of Landscape Architecture
Boston Architectural College

Comments