Blog Pick :: Information is Beautiful

Re-blog by Alyce Packard, BIA Candidate

Information is Beautiful was created by David McCandless who is a London based author, writer, and designer. Lately he's been an independent data journalist and information designer. He loves to visually organize facts, data, ideas, subjects, issues, statistics, and questions with as little words as possible. He is interested in how designed information can help us understand the world. Check out some of his work as well as other people's work here. I've picked out a few of my favorites.

Photo from www.wardshelley.com

This was one of my favorites for a number of reasons. At first glance, it instantly reminded me of something that we saw in our Design Principles class when we were learning about diagrams. I like the use of color and the fact that it looks like a living organism. It does a good job communicating a lot of information and I find the subject matter funny and interesting. The subject matter isn't too serious and neither is the image. It shows the movement in years from left to right. It is called the "History of Science Fiction" and it maps the literary genre from its roots in mythology and fantastic stories to its space opera epics of today.

Photo from www.informationisbeautiful.net

I liked this one because of its simplicity and because of its relevance. I feel like this would be interesting to a lot of younger people like me that use social networking sites. Pink is known to represent girls, blue is known to represent boys, and gray is a pretty common as a neutral color so the colors alone are easy to read and understand. The little human figures along with the numbers next to it are also easy to read. Other than for accuracy, you don't even really need the numbers. The result? That chicks rule of course, there are 99 million more females than males that visit social networking sites monthly.

This is an important image for all college kids to look at if I'm correct in assuming that we all run on coffee. It reads from top to bottom in the amount of calories something has. The bottom has the least amount of calories and the top has the most. It also reads from left to right in the amount of caffeine something has in it, the left has the least amount of caffeine and the right side has the most caffeine in it. To show how bad something is, there is also a column on the far right that shows how much exercise we would have to get to burn off the calories from each item. Maybe this will make some of us think twice the next time we make a Starbucks run.

If you want more ideas or just want to see more of David McCandless work visit www.informationisbeautiful.net.