Blog Pick :: Geometry Daily

Photo from geometrydaily.tumblr.com
Written by Alyce Packard, BID Candidate

Geometry daily is a blog created by a man named Tilman. He works in Germany and he is an interactive and graphic designer. While he usually does "normal" agency work, he has taken a year off to work on this graphics project among other things. 

Photo from geometrydaily.tumblr.com
He likes geometry because the forms are just a simplification of our real world. Geometry is the building blocks of the world and like physics and math; it defines how the world is constructed.

Photo from geometrydaily.tumblr.com
In a busy and complex world, Tilman strives for simplicity with his minimal designs. His concentration is on relevant things; he concentrates on an idea and executes it in a straightforward way. By doing this he is successful in creating something that is very powerful while still being unique and as simple as possible.

Photo from geometrydaily.tumblr.com
Although these look like actual prints on paper, they're actually vector graphics from illustrator. Although they have their place somewhere, Tilman doesn't like the clean and perfect look of these digitally created shapes for this project. To keep them from being so impersonal and boring, he adds a little wear to them in Photoshop. By doing this he hopes to make them seem more real and connected to the real world.

Photo from geometrydaily.tumblr.com
I really just love the concept of this blog, it's fun and I'm glad I came across it. I just finished taking my color theory class and I can really appreciate the things I learned a lot more now. He uses the simple shapes and colors in very clever ways and in some cases causes optical illusions such as vibration and transparency. This also happens to be my personal style, simple, a little grungy but still clean, and geometric. Just looking through his page gave me a lot of inspiration for a variety of different things. I'm excited to see what else he'll come out with.

You can actually  order some of these as silk screen or digital prints offline. To see some more of these prints visit his blog!