Blog Pick :: Colossal Blog

By Rand Lemley, BArch Candidate

Christopher Jobsen, the mind behind the art/design blog, Colossal, is truly a content curator. The blog began in 2008 as a way for him to collect inspirational projects during a creative lull and has continued to present the work of little known artists and designers. You have probably seen his work reposted on other design sites, like Architizer, a sign that Jobsen has stayed at the forefront of his niche.

Image: Gautier Deblonde
Much of the work on display at Colossal is edgy and quirky. A reader certainly does not come to Jobsen's site to find the mainstream trends. Rather, his audience is encouraged to discover new ways of seeing the world they live in -- people, products, animals, environments -- with new eyes.

Jobsen prides himself on finding handmade art in a digital age. From immaculately rendered sculptures of elderly folks to chandeliers that cast tree-shaped shadows, Colossal celebrates analog over digital. In a recent interview with design milk, Jobsen credits Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi and Maskull Laserre's anatomical wooden sculptures, both known for their organic qualities, for providing him with energy and inspiration.

Image: Thames & Hudson
For me, Colossal is a place to visit weekly to find something strange and interesting to compare to the work I do. I find myself challenged to think with my hands instead of allowing silicon chips to do the work for me. Take a look for yourself and discover a new ways of creating.