Heritage Museums & Gardens
A Call to Artists
Secret Shelters: an outdoor art exhibit
Proposal due date: September 29, 2014
Exhibition dates: June 6 - October 25, 2015
Heritage Museums & Gardens invites artists, architects, designers and creative people with a desire to make imaginative spaces to participate in our 2015 outdoor exhibition. This juried show will enhance the enjoyment of our 100 acre contemplative grounds with hidden paths, open vistas, a neighboring pond and flowering gardens. We invite your participation in designing one person shelters in which a single person could observe nature, contemplate the stars, write poetry, meditate, or simply take a nap. Designs should:
- Present visitors with the opportunity to view the landscape from a different perspective
- Inspire visitors to imagine themselves as writers, naturalists, and people seeking refuge in a quiet place
- Allow visitors to walk-in, climb-in, sit-in, lay-in, swing-in, or crawl-in to appreciate.
Artists and designers submitting proposals should consider the following:
- Approximately 100,000 visitors will visit Heritage during the duration of the exhibition. Located on Cape Cod, Heritage draws visitors from New England, the United States, and international tourists.
- Heritage attracts adults with and without children, school groups, and tour groups.
- All installations must be durable and able to withstand repeated visitor interaction and the variable New England weather.
- Installations will be erected by the artists at sites selected for them by the staff at Heritage based on the nature of the structure. Suggestions for location are accepted in the application.
- Heritage cannot supply equipment, except for ladders, to erect any installation.
Artists whose work will be accepted for installation will receive a materials stipend of $300.
All submissions are due no later than 5pm Monday, September 29, 2014.
Each submission must be accompanied by an application. Applications may be downloaded at http://heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/2013site/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Secret-Shelters-Submission-Form.docx
Submissions may be mailed to Secret Shelters Project, Attn: Jan Crocker, Exhibits Manager, Heritage Museums & Gardens, 67 Grove St., Sandwich, MA 02563 or emailed to email@example.com.
All submissions must include:
- No more than 4 sketches of the design
- A written description of the physical support, dimensions, and mounting systems
- A description of the materials to be used
- A statement of intention of no more than 150 words
- Physical dimensions of the finished installation
- Description of how visitors will enter each installation
Submissions will be reviewed by a professional jury in October. Applicants will be notified of the results of the review no later than October 24. 2014.
All structures will be available for installation by May 24, 2015. Installation dates and times will be assigned prior to the exhibit opening date of June, 6, 2015.
Questions should be directed to Jan Crocker, Exhibits Manager, 508-888-3300 x102, firstname.lastname@example.org.