Labels

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Recap :: 2014 ABX Exhibit Hall

Recap :: 2014 ABX Exhibit Hall
by Steve Marcelin, BDS Candidate

ArchitectureBoston Expo (ABX) is an event for the design and construction industry, and the largest regional conference and trade show. ABX 2014 took place at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, and the Exhibit Hall had about 407 exhibitors each day. I attended the ABX Exhibit Hall for the first time, and I had some great conversations there.

Attending this year was everyone from students, to designers, to CEOs, and marketing managers. Since it was my first time attending ABX, I did not know what to expect. As a student, it ended up being a great learning experience for me. I learned many things about metallic fabric and its application as a building envelope material, adjustable wood finishes, different types of wall insulation and structures, and software.

My favorite thing I discovered at the Exhibit Hall was ArchiCAD by Graphisoft. ArchiCAD is a BIM software that is compatible with Android devices, Mac and Microsoft devices. It blew my mind to see a fully operable BIM function on a tablet computer. Similar to Revit it was easy to grasp the user interface and it is free for students to use.

While at the ArchiCAD exhibit booth, I was reminded that part of being a designer is constantly adapting and learning new things. The ABX Exhibit Hall lets you discover new products and technology, and interact with those products without having to buy them just yet.

ABX was an awesome experience, and I look forward to attending again next year. The Exhibit Hall was free to get into with online registration, and let me network with companies and design groups. ABX is great way to network with company and design groups and meet new professionals and discover new things. If you did not get a chance to go this year, you should definitely attend next year.

No comments: