Important Tax Information for International Students

Important Tax Information for International Students 

When do you file Tax forms?
From January of each year but no later than April 15.

Who Must File?
Every international student and scholar must file.

How to file your tax return
There is not one correct method to use to file your taxes. You may choose to learn the regulations and file your taxes yourself.

You may choose to use one of the many tax preparation services in the local community or on the web. (see Resources section below)

Please note that as a non-immigrant student, even if you were not working, you must file a data statement and probably a Federal Tax return, if you were in the United States, even for one day, during 2015.  If you have been in the U.S. for less than 5 years as a student then you are not required to pay Social Security (FICA) faxes.  FICA taxes should not be withheld from your pay.  Some money, however, should be withheld from your paycheck to cover any possible Federal and State obligations that you might have. W-2 forms from your employer that indicate how much you earned and how much money was withheld must be attached to your tax forms.

Required Tax Forms:

If you did not receive any money from U.S. sources then you must fill out: Form 8843 (Statement) and Federal Form 1040NREZ

If you received money from U.S. sources then you must fill out: Form 8843 (Statement) and Federal Form 1040NREZ

If you earned more than $4,400 you will also have to fill out: State Form 1-NR

** If you are a new spring 2016 student and arrived into the United States before December 31,2015  you must file these forms.  If you arrived in January 2016 you don’t have to for the 2015 tax session)

Federal Form 8843 and Form 1040NREZ or 1040NR should be mailed to: The Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin TX 73301-0215.  State From 1-NR should be sent to: Massachusetts Department of Revenue, (P.O. Box 7000 for a refund or to P.O. Box 7003 for a payment,) Boston, MA 02204.

You can download forms from the Federal web site at or the sate web site at or call the following toll-free numbers to have free copies of forms, instructions, publications sent directly to you:

                        Federal:  1-(800)-829-3676
                        State (Mass): 1-(800)-392-6089

Resources for filing your 2015 taxes:

1. For more detailed information about Federal tax regulations, you should request by phone International Revenue Service Publication Number 519, “U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.”

2. VITA program at Bunkerhill College (free tax assistance program) For free assistance with your taxes please call and make an appointment.

3. Sprintax is familiar with tax treaties with your country and assures that your federal and state tax forms are filed correctly and legally. They will not assist you with your local tax filing, but you can go to the local tax office and they will assist you with this local tax filing, file this form yourself, or you can take your Sprintax tax copies and go to the volunteers for assistance in filing your local taxes.

Sprintax, a tax assistance software designed for international students and scholars. The software can be accessed at